Tuesday 11 March 2008

Connections

On BBC Breakfast this morning they were talking about people's memories being triggered by music, presumably triggered by psycholgists at Leeds University carrying out research into people's memories of Beatles' music.

My wife immediately reminised about the memories evoked by Minnie Ripperton's "Loving You" of her hall of residence in her first year at University. Although I knew her then, it was a time before we connected, so I didn't enquire further. She also cited "Hey Jude" which we danced to at the disco at University. The song that always reminds me of there and then is September '63 by the Four Seasons. Santana's "Caravanserai" always reminds me of summer evenings with the windows open and it getting gradually darker and no one wanting to break the spell by turning a light on. I can hear those cricket-like noises at the beginning now, even though it's midwinter and I haven't played Caravanserai in over 20 years

A little while ago I had a vivid, very different example of how something marginally connected can evoke vivid memories. My mother died just before Christmas and I am her executor. To cut an extremely long and tedious story short I went to see a solicitor today to swear an oath about documents connected with probate. I had expected to have to make an appointment, but the solicitor was able to see me almost straight away. As part of the oath he passed me a small well-used bible. It stirred a memory something. I didn't realise at the time but I do now - Sunday School. As I signed the document I cried. Probably as much for lost youth as for a lost mother.

No comments: